Knee problems can be really irritating at times, especially if you have to stay on your feet for long hours. A right pair of work boots, however, can help in preventing and lead to the cure over time. But not all boots are up for the task.
Exploring the guide will help you in understanding how footwear can affect knees and finding out the best work boots for bad knees.
Table of Contents:
If you want a thorough navigation through the article, check this table with a quick nav link to each part of it:
Can Wearing Boots Cause Knee Pain?
Wearing boots at work has always been a good practice. In fact, based on your job type in some cases wearing boots is mandatory. But can wearing boots cause knee pain?
Not all people who wear boots regularly have knee pain. So indeed wearing boots is not the cause of knee pain but wearing the wrong pair of boots can be one of the reasons.
When you’re working hard and putting pressure on your knees, they’re likely to develop a strain. Other factors come at play as well, such as-
- Boots that are heavy, less flexible, and less cushioned may hurt your knees.
- Boots with no ankle support aren’t comfortable and are likely to strain your knees and hips.
- Working with an injured knee or hip will badly affect your health over time, no matter what boots you wear.
- Rigid boots with less traction and shock absorption puts all the pressure on your legs, addinf burden to your feet, knees, and hips.
- Walking on uneven surfaces, climbing steep hills, or working in loads may cause knee and foot pain unless you use good work boots.
Do You Need Special Work Boots for Bad Knees?
If you’re no stranger to working for long hours, you know how annoying knee pain can be. In that case, you need some specific type of footwear that provides ample support from your knees to the toes.
Work boots for bad knees need to be lightweight, flexible, and provide excellent support for natural feet movement. Without a pair of boots with proper knee support, you can never expect to work without getting injured. The boots should also have a supportive shaft, and properly cushioned insoles.
Besides, you’ll need strong traction that gives you superior grip on uneven terrains with gravel around. That way, while walking or working on rough terrains, you won’t have to face a sudden injury to your knees.
What Makes the Best Work Boots for a Bad Knee?
When you’re shopping for boots specifically for sore or injured knees, you have to take some things into account. Take a look at what matters most.
The work boots with decent knee support must have an excellent build, for sure. But more importantly, they have to be lightweight so that your knees have less weight to lift. It’s crucial because lifting heavy weights increases the chances of knee strain. With a lightweight build, maintaining a sore knee becomes a lot easier.
Without a soft and comfortable midsole or inserts, you’ll be stepping on rigid inner surfaces that may cause pain to your knee joints. Plus, if you wear shock absorbing midsoles, working on heavy terrains becomes easier. They also make your long working hours a breeze.
The outsole traction is what keeps you from falling while working or walking on unforgiving terrains or loose concrete. Staying sharp upright is necessar with knee injuries, and having good traction can help you do better in that case.
Remember, one unwanted twist on your ankles or knees can lead you to a severe knee injury. So, be extra careful with the outsoles.
An ergonomic design with proper support on the boots can help you stay comfortable for hours. If you stand a lot at the work site, and do a ton of movement, an ergonomic build is crucial for your knees. The boots should have triple or quadruple stitching, leather lining, toe cap, and comfortable shaft.
Ease of Wearing:
Since you have painful knee joints to deal with, look for boots with extra comfort of wearing. Make sure the boots have comfortable lacing eyelets for a snug fit. The eyelets should go up to the end of the shaft, with an extended collar for extra support on ankles. Besides, removable inserts help with arch support a ton.
|Best Work Boots For Bad Knees||It’s Best for||Shaft size||Uppers Material||Weight|
|Wolverine DuraShock Work Boot||Editor’s choice||6” shaft||Nubuck 100% leather||1.89 Pounds|
|Thorogood MAXwear Wedge Boot||Best for Shock Absorption||6-inch shaft||Full grain leather||2.65 Pounds|
|Irish Setter Industrial & Construction Boots||Best for Electricians||6” shaft||100% leather||1.56 Pounds|
|Dunham Mid-Cut Waterproof Boot||Best waterproof boots||6” shaft||Full grain leather||2 Pounds|
|Dr. Martens Heavy Boots||Best Slip Resistant Boots||7” shaft||Leather with PVC lining||5.05 Pounds|
|Wolverine Durashock Work Boot||Best for injured ankles||8” shaft||100% full grain leather||1.89 Pounds|
|PUMA Safety Atomic Brown||Most lightweight boots||6.75″ shaft||100% leather||1.56 Pounds|
|KEEN Utility Steel Toe Work Shoe||Best durable work boots||3″ shaft||Nubuck leather||1.44 Pounds|
8 Best Work Boots For Bad Knees Reviews
Selecting the right pair of boots that are good for bad knees requires extensive research, and we did it for you. Here are the 8 best work boots for bad knees that have just the right construction and material to support your vulnerable knees:
1. Editor’s choice: Wolverine DuraShock 6 Inch Work Boot
Wolverine has been a reliable boot manufacturer for a lifetime, and they did a great job making their Durashock boots. You probably got some idea from this unique name, but let’s get into more details.
Shock Absorbing Foot Bed
- Highly shock absorbing Durashock foot beds absorb the impact from walking and standing for long hours.
- Outsole pads and compressive sidewalls work together to deliver excellent energy return without hurting your legs and knees.
- Stabilizing suspension combined with non-slip rubber outsoles reduce even a little stutter in the work.
- Triple stitched 100% leather construction is highly durable yet flexible enough for all types of work.
- Supportive padding all around the boots from the toes to the gusset and beyond make this pair super comfortable to wear.
- Its heavy-duty bonded construction and Stabilizing suspension enabled 1.25″ high soles that won’t bend on uneven terrain to keep your knees upright.
Comfortable and Ease of Use
- With a rigid synthetic sole and full grain leather build, this boot delivers an impressive result while wearing.
- The nylon shank alongside the heel support will keep your arch in a comfortable position.
- A pull tab strap on the back will help you put the boot on without breaking a sweat.
- Since the boots come with removable dual-density footbeds, you can take out any time you like to add some time for special inserts like orthotic shoe insoles.
Impressive Foot Support
- A dedicated heel support outperforms most other boots in helping your feet and sore knee joint.
- Since you’re getting full coverage with lacing eyelets and cushioned collar and gusset, you’re never getting them cringed.
- Mesh lining will give you proper airflow to wear them all day without even sweating inside.
- Weight: 1.89 Pounds
- Uppers Material: Nubuck 100% leather
- Footbed: Removable full cushion foot bed
- Outsoles: Durashock shock absorbing rubber outsole
- Protection: Moisture managing mesh linings
- Shaft design: 6” shaft with lacing eyelets
The durashock molded outsole can withstand rough usage for hours, and the nylon shank won’t hurt your arch. Besides, its mesh lining will keep your feet cool while the removable bed gives you the opportunity to customize comfort.
2. Best for Shock Absorption: Thorogood American Heritage MAXwear Wedge Boot
Working with injured knees or sore legs can be a daunting job when you have no proper ground support. The Thorogood wedge boots can provide you that ground support. Despite having a classic aesthetic look with tanned leather, these boots have a lot more impressive features, such as
Shock Absorbing Foot Bed
- Removable shock-absorbing footbed offers ultimate comfort to your feet.
- The polyurethane MAXwear wedge sole provides maximum support on hard surfaces.
- Vibram rubber outsole is highly slip-resistant and stays firm in harsh conditions.
High Quality Build Material
- Oil tanned full grain leather construction is extremely durable and water resistent.
- These boots offer you classic USA craftsmanship with an ergonomic construction.
- Composite shank supports stand comfortably even on the most uneven surface.
- The Goodyear storm welt construction on the outsole alongside the Moc toe design are great for overall foot support.
- Oversized gussets have triple stitched lining to keep your sore feet upright on bumpy terrain.
Top Quality Foot Cushioning
- Comfortable insoles combined with
- Poron insole cushion is great for wearing long hours.
- Its hook eyelets go all the way up for snug fit.
- Uppers Material: Full grain leather
- Footbed: Removable shock-absorbing foot bed
- Outsoles: Polyurethane MAXwear Wedge sole
- Protection: ASTM F2892-18 ELECTRICAL HAZARD safety
- Shaft design: 6-inch shaft with extended gusset and eyelets
These are the best men’s work boots for the bad knees of ironworkers, construction workers, or electricians. If you want maximum support at work sites while having complete shock absorption, the shock absorbing foot bed of these boots will help.
3. Best for Electricians: Irish Setter Industrial & Construction Boots
The Irish Setter industrial boots are great in every aspect from spec lists to construction, alongside extensive foot support. Here are the most useful features of the Irish Setter work boots that make them exceptional:
Electric Safety Outsole
- Electrical hazard proof safety outsole that keeps you safe from electric shocks.
- Special built for electricians with ASTM F2413-11 safety standards.
Comfortable Foot Cushioning
- High-end cushioned inner material with extra layers of soft padding makes it comfortable to wear for hours.
- An added cushioning on the long shaft offers extra support while standing.
High Quality Construction
- Cushioned construction of these boots prevent ankle twists on uneven surfaces.
- Irish Setter has included rubber EVA traction that offers excellent energy rebound.
- The outsole is high heat-resistant up to 475° Fahrenheit if you’re working on such work sites.
Impressive Knee and Foot Support
- These boots havevheavy-duty full leather lining and triple stitching for durability and foot support.
- Its Moc toe classic design keeps your feet comfortable on hazardous work sites.
- These boots have soft midsoles to keep your foot firlmy on its place.
- Weight: 1.56 Pounds
- Uppers Material: 100% leather
- Footbed: Shock absorbing rubber-EVA sole
- Outsoles: High heat resistant rubber outsole
- Protection: Electrical Hazard ASTM F2413-11 Safety
- Shaft design: 6” shaft with cushioned collar and eyelets.
These are especially the best men’s work boots for knee problems of professional electricians who work on industrial and construction work sites. With a rubber EVA outsole that offers both heat and electric hazard protection, meeting ASTM safety standards, you can surely rely on them.
4. Best waterproof boots: Dunham Cloud Mid-Cut Waterproof Boot
Do you need to deal with water and damp surfaces on a daily basis? Then these boots from Dunham will surely help you stay dry while working. Here are the best features of these boots that put them aside from most of the other boots on the market:
Waterproof Concealed Design
- The Dunham boots come with highly waterproof synthetic fabric uppers.
- These boots are particularly great for plumbers, surveyers, and for those who work in damp areas.
Heavy Duty Outsole Traction
- Excellent outsole traction plays a major role in keeping your feet and knees upright and away from fractures.
- Heavy quality rubber outsole will provide you superior traction on every stride.
Comfortable Midsole Design
- There are memory foam foot beds inside these boots with molded EVA support.
- You can easily take out the removable inserts and replace them with a new orthotic pair of inserts if needed.
Versatile Outer Construction
- A wide boot opening of approximately 11.5″ will help you put them on way easier than usual.
- The mid-cut collar will make it even easier to insert your foot if you have imbalanced feet, sore knees, or injured hips.
- Weight: 2 Pounds
- Uppers Material: Full grain leather
- Foot bed: Rubber-EVA removable insole
- Outsoles: high traction rubber outsole
- Protection: Waterproofing for damp places
- Shaft design: 6” shaft with mid cut foot insert
Getting these boots can be a great option if you work on damp work sites and need versatile boots for extra support. They’re not only good for waterproofing, but also easier to put on. You’ll stay dry and moisture-free for hours, and stay upright with bad knees for hours at the same time.
5. Best Slip Resistant Boots: Dr. Martens Ironbridge Heavy Boots
If you work on steep work sites where the area is slippery, you can consider the Dr. Martens Ironbridge boots. They come with good traction to help you stand steel on rough terrain, even with sore knees or feet. Here are the most impressive features of these boots that made them the best slip resistant work boots:
Heavy Slip Resistant Outsole
- The rubber outsoles are completely slip resistant.
- Despite being rugged, the outsoles are flexible enough to keep your feet from getting excessively fatigued.
- You’ll also get electric shock proof outer sealing.
Supportive Midsole Design
- The midsoles also offer higher flexibility for a comfortable yet tight fit.
- Synthetic sole contributes to reducing fatigue and need no more extra inserts.
- Its welded foot bed provides extra stability and a long service life.
- Despite having a 100% leather construction, these boots are completely waterproof.
- The outer sole comes with a water resistant construction to keep your feet dry and warm.
Top Notch Foot Support & Safety
- The rich and tumbled leather uppers and the soft inner construction will provide the best foot support you need.
- Its steel toe safety cap will keep you safe from impacts and other work site hazards.
- PVC air-cushioned upper sole is safe from oil, petrol, alkali and other chemical hazards.
- Weight: 5.05 Pounds
- Uppers Materials: Leather with PVC lining
- Footbed: Comfortable cushioned insole
- Outsoles: high traction rubber outsole
- Protection: ASTM F2413-11 MI/75 C/75 EH
- Shaft design: 7” shaft with mid cut foot insert
The Dr. Martens boots are great if you work in steep hills or workplaces where there is loose terrain. You’re getting high strength outsole traction to get a strong grip on the ground. Plus, the air cushioned inner sole and soft shaft collar design, you’re never getting fatigued or stains on bad knees.
6. Best for injured ankles: Wolverine 8 Inch Durashock Work Boot
Injured ankles cannot help you stand still for long unless they get great support from the boots. The Wolverine Men’s 8” Durashock Work Boots are the best men’s work boots for knee pain for the ultimate support you want. Here are the features of these boots that can give you the support you need:
High Shank Strong Support
- 8 inches high shank design to help you get great support on your feet.
- They ensure excellent heels and ankles support working for long hours.
- An extended gusset and the shaft with lacing eyelets goes all the way up to the end.
Shockproof and Comfortable
- The iconic Durashock outsole is prominent for its shock absorbing capability for bad knees.
- The outsole will also provide a higher level of traction.
Ergonomic and Easy to Use
- The directly attached insole and the 100% original leather upper construction is sturdily built for long lasting use.
- The nylon shank will support your arches, reducing the chances of knee pain.
Impressive Foot Support
- There are 200 grams of thinsulate insulation that’ll keep your feet warm during heavy snowfall.
- The safety toe cap will keep your feet safe from fall hazards and other dangers.
- In addition to soft padded collars, snugging lacing with eyelets will keep you upright while working.
- Weight: 1.89 Pounds
- Uppers Material: 100% full grain leather
- Foot bed: Comfortable cushioned insole
- Outsoles: Durashock shock absorbing outsole
- Protection: Thinsulate insulation
- Shaft design: 8” shaft with lacing eyelets
These boots are the best if you’re looking for a pair that can keep you uninterrupted and comfortable for hours. You can wear them for a long walk, or stand, they’ll keep your feet in good shape. With their thinsulate insulation, you can rely on them for good support while you’re working under heavy pressure.
7. Most lightweight boots: PUMA Safety Atomic Brown
Puma is one of the most reliable boots manufacturers, and they did a great job on the Atomic Brown boots. If you have injured or sore feet and need the most lightweight yet highly strong comfortable work boots, here they are. Here are the features that made these steel toe boots highly favorable for bad knees:
- The Puma work boots come with a lightweight construction of only 1.56 lbs each.
- You can wear them for hours without getting your feet strained or fatigued.
Waterproof Outer Build
- These boots also come with full waterproof membrane construction.
- The boot interior has waterproof lining as well.
- Its meshuppers are highly breathable on both sides to ensure high airflow.
- PU outsole tread adds to overall traction.
Removable Sock Liner
- Removable ever comfort sock liners will ensure that the feet are comfortable all the time.
- Regardless of whether you’re working with bad knees or sore ankles, they’re going to support you all along.
Highly Supportive Shaft and Collar
- These boots offer a rubber sole to give you extra grip on the ground.
- Its approximately 6.75″ shaft will support your ankles from the arch without any extra pressure.
- On top of the oil treated leather build, the steel toe cap will keep you away from danger.
- Weight: 1.56 Pounds
- Uppers Material: 100% leather
- Footbed: Removable Ever Comfort Sockliner
- Outsoles: Slip resistant PU outsole
- Protection: Steel toe
- Shaft design: 6.75″ shaft with full lacing eyelets
These boots are for those who need the most comfortable boots within a reasonable budget. You’re getting the lightest weight on shoes that don’t really need much force to carry around. Besides, the ever comfort sock liners of these boots will surely keep you comfortable with bad knees or injured feet.
8. Best durable work boots: KEEN Utility Flint Low Steel Toe Work Shoe
Keen utility makes the most durable work boot on the market, and these boots are no exception. Well, they’re not only highly durable, but also have top notch supportive construction inside for bad knees. Let’s see how these boots can give you the ultimate comfort even after wearing them for hours:
Durable and Strong Construction
- These boots have a 100% Nubuck leather construction, designed and crafted in the USA with imported materials.
- Sturdy rubber soles give you full strength traction while working on uneven terrain and steep hills.
- The steel toes in these shoes are asymmetrical to both left and right for top notch security against hazards.
- Apart from the Nubuck waterproof design, these boots have impressively high-quality mid foot support for bad knees.
- The dual density EVA midsole inners have a compression-molded build for extra stability at high pressure work.
- Steel shank features a supportive tech inside called Torsional Stability for extra mid-foot support.
- The metatomical footbeds are removable.
Comfy Ankle and Heel Design
- Despite a shaft size of 3 inches, you’ll get extra comfortable heel and ankle support.
- The shaft supports you from the arch up to your ankles.
- With a boot opening of approximately 12 inches and eyelets, an easy wearing experience is ensured.
Waterproof and Odor Protection
- These boots offer waterproofing and contoured heel lock.
- Apart from the oil and slip resistant outsole, the CleanSport NXT technology will help yoy with odor protection.
- Weight: 1.44 Pounds
- Uppers Material: Nubuck leather
- Footbed: Removable dual density molded EVA midsole.
- Outsoles: Oil and slip resistant, non-marking outsole
- Protection: Water resistant with odor protection
- Shaft design: 3″ shaft with extended cushioned gusset
If you want the right inner foot support with all the modern features, get these boots. They have water, slip, and oil resistant construction that meets the ASTM safety standards, ensuring maximum support. You’ll get an exceptionally longer life span for both outdoor activities and work sites.
What are the Benefits of The Best Work Boots for Bad Knee
Getting a pair of work boots with the features we’ve considered have way more benefits than only supporting bad knees. Here are the most important beneficial sides of getting the right boots that have the right specifications:
Slip and Fall Resistant Traction
The first benefit of getting work boots that are good for bad knees is the traction they come with. Since you need to stay upright, even with injured flat feet, these boots will keep your ankle and knees strong. That will help you avoid any twist, slip, even unwanted falls on slippery ground.
Warmth in Cold Extreme Weather
Another good thing about work boots for bad knees is their extra warmth in colder weather. As you’re getting boots for bad knees, they will have decent cushioning inside to keep your feet cozy. That coziness also translates into a warm place to keep your feet in and stay comfortable.
No Fatigue on the Ankle and Knees
This is rather given with boots that work for bad knees since you must stay away from foot fatigue. You won’t have fatigue, neither on your ankles, nor your knees with these boots. They come with a good quality foot bed and extra supportive inner lining alongside comfy shaft collars.
Electrical Hazards and Water Resistance
These safety measures are necessary at work places, especially for electricians or plumbers. If you work where water gets into the job, your boots for bad knees are also likely going to provide water resistance. Plus, the electric hazard resistant outsole will keep you safe as well.
Easier to Wear With Comfortable Shaft
When you’re getting boots for bad knees and ankles, the boots will have a comfortable shaft and opening for sure. They will help you put the boots on pretty comfortably with a wide opening. Besides, the lacing eyelets will help you keep them on with a firm fit to the feet.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are you facing difficulties understanding how these boots can help, or how they work? Here are some FAQs to answer some regular queries on boots for bad knees:
What Are the Best Work Boots for Bad Knees?
The best work boots for bad knees need to be lightweight and have excellent shock absorption and slip-resistant outsoles. Besides, you need something that will definitely help you maintain natural movements while you walk. Since knee problems relate to muscles as well, comfortable cushioning is also necessary.
In that regard, Wolverine DuraShock 6 Inch Work Boots are the best boots for bad knees. You can also go for the 8-inches version if you need a higher shaft enclosure.
Can Work Boots Make Your Knees Hurt?
Since work boots are rigid and strong, they can hurt your feet and knees in general. However, if you’re getting work boots for bad knees that have high-end support, they’ll comfort you instead of hurting.
It’s no wonder that legs and knees will strain after a long day of work. But things get worse if you’re wearing a pair of boots that are heavy and stiff. You also need to avoid boots that don’t offer decent ankle support. A sturdy build is indeed necessary for workspace safety, but you have to make sure the boots are flexible enough to wear for prolonged hours.
What Are the Best Work Boots for Being on Your Feet All Day?
Staying on your feet all day long is not an easy task. But, a pair of work boots with comfortable cushioning, arch and ankle support can make the job worthwhile. Waterproof materials and lugged outsoles may also prove useful in specific situations. But comfortable shoes are the utmost priority for being on your feet all day.
The Dunham Cloud Mid-Cut Boots are the best for standing all day with bad knees. These boots offer memory foam footbeds that keep your feet in a comfy, easy position all the time.
What Shoes with Removable Insoles are best for Bad Knees?
The footbed consists of dual-density PU materials with extra padding under the heel and ball of the foot. So, your foot stays safe from shock as the thick layer absorbs most of the impact. Besides, the removable PU insoles can also wick moisture to add to your comfort.
Thorogood American Heritage MAXwear Wedge Boots are the best option if you need shoes with removable insoles. They have a comfortable footbed that gives your feet a comfy work time.
Are Irish Setter Boots Comfortable?
Irish Setter Industrial Boots are the best of this line, especially when it comes to special boots with special features. Take the boots we’ve picked from Irish Setter for example. Apart from their high-quality construction outside, the boots offer cushioned inner pads with extra soft paddings as well. Besides, the shaft has thick cushioning too. In addition, Irish Setter makes sure you get the best knee and foot support along with a comfortable snug fit.
Using a pair of boots with the right specifications is one of the best things you can do for your bad knees. The boots we’ve picked in this article are built for specific jobs, and protect your feet and provide utmost support. And, our editorial panel has selected the Wolverine DuraShock Work Boots as the overall best work boots for bad knees.
These boots offer a full-grain leather construction with a 6” comfy shaft. You can replace the removable cushioned footbed or use them for heavy workloads, even with injured feet. And the Durashock shock-absorbing outsole will absorb shock from rough ground. The moisture-managing mesh linings will keep your feet cool and comfortable for hours of work time.